No single person has left as indelible a mark on Marfa as Donald Judd. The Judd logo (see above) is plastered all over downtown. Take a stroll along Highland Avenue, Marfa’s main drag, and you’ll spot the brilliant red, sans-serif letters of the Judd Foundation logo on at least four storefronts.
Stop inside the Hotel Paisano gift shop, and you can pick up a screen-printed Judd shirt or tote.
You can imagine my surprise when I traveled to 101 Spring Street to volunteer for the de-installation and saw this:
Need a closer look?
In New York, the Judd logo is lost amidst the hustle and bustle of the SoHo retail district.
Here’s a bonus New York/Marfa comparison:
also by Theresa Bembnister
- The Ten List: Food and Art - March 2nd, 2011
- Do You Have What it Takes to Be an Intern? - December 31st, 2010
- Ian Hamilton Finlay at the Marfa Book Company - December 20th, 2010
- Ayn Foundation - December 15th, 2010
- Marfa Made Paper - December 1st, 2010