As questions about the competition arise, the Guggenheim’s YouTube video art Biennial has announced its panel of judges, which will include the likes of Laurie Anderson, Darren Aronofsky and Shirin Neshat. But if the Iranian Neshat, who won the Silver Lion for Best Director at the 2009 Venice Film Festival, is still an Iranian citizen, the competition would ban her. Artists from US-sanctioned countries like Iran, Syria, North Korea and Cuba are inelligible. Then there is the whole issue of YouTube’s anti-nudity policy. So far it is not being altered for the competition. Check out the commentary on Animal New York and Art Fag City.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015