Recent heavy rains in Houston have delayed Staten Island artist Scott LoBaido‘s giant American flag painting, just finished atop the roof of the Lamons Gasket Company near Hobby airport. Although he began the mammoth flag on Flag Day, June 14, he just sqeaked under the finish line to have the thing ready for by July 4. "I’ve been pacing around, cursing" said the firecely Republican painter, who has turned to the more neutral flag as his subject from the controversial drawing of Hillary Clinton and other Democrats burning an American flag alongside Osama Bin Laden, which got him headlines in 2004. A man of strong opinions, LoBaido was arrested in 1999 after throwing horse manure at the exterior of the Brooklyn Museum of Art to protest its display of Chris Ofili’s painting of the Virgin Mary made with elephant dung.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015