Collector and Dallas Museum of Art trustee Marguerite Hoffman is suing Mexican financier David Martinez, Sotheby’s and NY gallery L & M Arts over the public resale of a 1961 Rothko painting she had secretly sold in 2007, just after the piece had been featured in "Fast Forward," a DMA exhibition of works promised to the museum. The piece was resold by Martinez at auction last Wednesday for $31 million. It’s unclear whether she’s embarrassed by the revelation of the sale itself (she has promised to donate the piece to the DMA if she gets it back) or the money she missed by not selling it at auction herself in the first place.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015