In an 8-1 decision Tuesday, the US Supreme Court struck down a law banning depictions of criminal cruelty to animals. The decision was on first-amendment grounds: the court’s majority decided that the government did not have the power to curtail free speech so broadly, to the dismay of animal rights activists and the relief of the College Art Asociation, museums and artists whose works were potentially under threat.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015