It’s not just Barton Barriers. In March, the Austin art scene rebelled against new requirements that cultural contractors for the city who received Hotel Occupancy Tax funds begin counting tourist noses. According to Robert Faires of the Austin Chronicle, "allegedly, someone suggested last fall that the city was out of compliance with the state statute’s stipulation that HOT funds for the arts be used "directly" for the promotion of tourism." A flood of arts-positive email caused new Economic Growth & Redevelopment Services Office Director Kevin Johns to repeal the new rules and apologize.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015