It’s not just Barton Barriers. In March, the Austin art scene rebelled against new requirements that cultural contractors for the city who received Hotel Occupancy Tax funds begin counting tourist noses. According to Robert Faires of the Austin Chronicle, "allegedly, someone suggested last fall that the city was out of compliance with the state statute’s stipulation that HOT funds for the arts be used "directly" for the promotion of tourism." A flood of arts-positive email caused new Economic Growth & Redevelopment Services Office Director Kevin Johns to repeal the new rules and apologize.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015