Seven mammoth outdoor sculptures by ex-Texan artist James Surls are currently on display on Rice University’s campus. Called Magnificent Seven: Houston Celebrates Surls, it’s direct challenge to the mammoth outdoor celebration of French artist Bernar Venet just across the tracks in in Hermann park. Ranging between 750 and 2,200 pounds, the sculptures include Surls’ signature flower forms, diamonds and eyes. Several of the pieces at Rice were in Surl’s’ recent Park Avenue installation in NY last year. On view through August.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015