It’s a minor art squabble, but a when eccentric Houston socialite and art collector Joanne King Herring is involved, it’s news! Herring has filed suit to recover a painting she reported stolen from a Houston frame shop 20 years ago, that was recently consigned to Sotheby’s for sale by Geoffrey Rice, who claims he bought it from Hart Galleries, a now-defunct Houston auction house. Rice has denies Herring’s allegations and Texas courts’ jurisdiction over the case, and claims that too much time has passed for her to recover.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015