It’s a minor art squabble, but a when eccentric Houston socialite and art collector Joanne King Herring is involved, it’s news! Herring has filed suit to recover a painting she reported stolen from a Houston frame shop 20 years ago, that was recently consigned to Sotheby’s for sale by Geoffrey Rice, who claims he bought it from Hart Galleries, a now-defunct Houston auction house. Rice has denies Herring’s allegations and Texas courts’ jurisdiction over the case, and claims that too much time has passed for her to recover.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015