Elias Duran, the lead baker for the world’s largest Rosca de Reyes assembled and iced the record-breaking pastry in Houston Saturday. Measuring 1520 feet, the so-called "king cake" was notarized in front of a cheering crowd, but Mexico City is claiming to have built a cake on January 3 that measured nearly 2,700 feet, throwing the issue into doubt. Guiness Book of World’s records officials may take months to decide. This latest baking marathon was organized by giant-food artist and community activist Laura Peña, whose giant taco held the record in the late 1990s, but has been superseded by Mexicali’s 1,654 pound taco of 2003.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015