Th USS Westfield, a union battleship that ran aground and was scuttled near the entrance to the Texas City Ship Channel in 1863, is being documented and salvaged as part of a plan to dredge the channel 5 feet deeper. Divers visited the wreck, which sits under 47 feet of water last week. Artifacts removed from the site will be conserved and distributed to reputable museums.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015