Art Matters has announced 23 grants to artists focusing on communication and collaboration across national borders. The 2009 crop includes several Tex and ex-Tex artists: Ex-core fellows Santiago Cucullu and William Cordova will travel to Peru. Cucullu to research the architectural remnants of Pre-Incan cultures, Cordova to document historic landmarks associated with radical community activist groups. Ex-San Antonian and founder of Sala Diaz, Alejandro Diaz will expand his "handmade sign" project to Mexico City and surrounding rural towns. Houston’s Robert Pruitt will travel to Mali to research the intersection of Hip Hop and traditional Dogon culture. The $3,000-$10,000 grants are awarded by nomination only.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015