Once a year (or so) the artists with studio space at the Shamrock Hotel in Deep Ellum host an open studio day. The whole space is includes 6-7 spaces, each with work on display by a different artist. The space has been a rotating community of artists since 1997 (I think) and continued to be a vital community.
I just returned from their very impressive opening tonight and I would like to highlight one artist in particular: Sunny Sliger. I was not aware of her work before tonight, but someone should give this girl a show. Her sculptures are huge (semi-figurative) installations/costumes made with every material under the sun: feathers, tape, plaster, plastic, metal, and every sort of ephemera you can think of. At first, they appear CRAZY … but they are very careful and sincere as well. They seem like Stella and/or Tuttle on crack … in the best sense possible. Here are a few pics below:
also by Chris Jagers
- The Perot Museum and Downtown Dallas - December 12th, 2012
- A Dream Deferred - April 10th, 2011
- Would Van Gogh be Making Apps? - March 30th, 2011
- Dallas Arts District (IN LEGOS) - July 3rd, 2010
- Kana Harada: The Way Home - May 24th, 2010