Michelle White’s been promoted to associate curator at the Menil Collection, which means 1) a much-deserved promotion for a talented young curator (currently working on a show of Richard Serra drawings for the Menil’s Drawing Institute); and 2) in case anyone thought they might, they will not be tapping the late 20-something to fill the shoes of the departing Franklin Sirmans. Here’s hoping they can find someone who will stick. Perhaps, since the Menil’s deal is mainly 20th century, not contemporary, they won’t make another edgy contemporary pick? It’s one of the few plum curatorial jobs open in the country right now, so they should be able to get their pick of the litter.
also by Rainey Knudson
- Pauline Oliveros, 1932 - 2016 - November 26th, 2016
- Naming and Shaming: Deborah Roberts at Art Palace - November 21st, 2016
- All good dreamers pass this way some day: on the election, and art - November 15th, 2016
- Statement On Our Instagram Post - November 5th, 2016
- Should Houston Have an Art Fair? - October 16th, 2016