Michelle White’s been promoted to associate curator at the Menil Collection, which means 1) a much-deserved promotion for a talented young curator (currently working on a show of Richard Serra drawings for the Menil’s Drawing Institute); and 2) in case anyone thought they might, they will not be tapping the late 20-something to fill the shoes of the departing Franklin Sirmans. Here’s hoping they can find someone who will stick. Perhaps, since the Menil’s deal is mainly 20th century, not contemporary, they won’t make another edgy contemporary pick? It’s one of the few plum curatorial jobs open in the country right now, so they should be able to get their pick of the litter.
also by Rainey Knudson
- Catching up with Okay Mountain - February 4th, 2011
- Two Great Shows, Part 1: Dan H. Phillips at Webb Gallery - December 16th, 2010
- Peter Marzio, head of MFAH, dies at 67 - December 10th, 2010
- Pamela Z TONIGHT in Houston! - December 4th, 2010
- Arthouse TX Prize Finalists Announced - November 20th, 2010