Fort Worth’s Amon Carter Museum has acquired Charles Sheeler’s Conversation-Sky and Earth, 1940. Sheeler, described as "founder of American modernism" sure could paint machinery outdoors– sort of a mechanical Monet for the twentieth century. Conversation-Sky and Earth, an eerily sharp portrait of the then-new Hoover Dam, is part of a series of six on the theme of "power" that was reproduced in color in a portfolio supplement to the December 1940 issue of Fortune magazine.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015