The Chinati Foundation is holding a weekend of festivities surrounding the re-opening of Donald Judd’s untitled concrete works in Marfa. With new footings and some surface restoration, the fifteen big boxes are ready to be seen, and argued about once again. A $300-a-plate benefit dinner Friday night will help finance the pricey fix-ups. Saturday , October 10 at 3 pm at the Crowley Theatre, a roster of speakers will present lectures on Judd’s works in concrete with a specific focus on their conservation treatment. Speakers include Richard Shiff, from UT, Austin; critic James Lawrence; Bettina Landgrebe, Chinati’s Conservator; and Francesca Esmay, conservator for the Dia Art Foundation. Chinati Artist in Residence Alex Schweder will exhibit new work in the Ice Plant, and Saturday night, Dan Deacon will give a free concert under the shade structure in downtown Marfa.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015