Confirmed by the Senate last week, the new head of the NEA, Broadway producer Rocco Landesman, seems refreshingly outspoken in Robin Pogrebin’s New York Times interview. In reference to remarks made by Mitt Romney against arts money in the stimulus bill, Landesman makes the point that artists have to do stuff like send kids to college, put food on the table and pay medical bills. As for arts in American politics, he says, "The arts are a little bit of a target. The subtext is that it is elitist, left wing, maybe even a little gay."
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015