President Obama’s late mother, Ann Dunham, collected batik, those particularly Indonesian resist-dyed textiles, popularized in the US through generations of ethno-craft projects. The Ann Dunham Collection of Batik: Indonesian Identity and Artistic Tradition (with additions from the collection of Houston-based batik collector Ita McCutchen) will be on display at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston Wednesday, July 1, through Sunday, July 5, 2009, a stop on a nationwide tour. On Thursday, July 2, there will be three demonstrations on batik processes at 4:30, 6, and 7:30.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015