Amid the mummy madness, the DMA has found time to hand out its annual awards to artists: Grants from the Clare Hart DeGolyer Memorial Fund for young folks went to Beatriz Cabrera, Yuki Ogura (who will buy a camcorder), Alfredo Salazar, and Vanessa Tomczak, who are finishing up undergraduate degrees. Grants from The Arch and Anne Giles Kimbrough Fund for slightly older young folks went to Timothy Harding, Candace Hicks, Angélica Muñoz Castaño, Kit Reisch, and Piotr Chizinski for his socio-mathematical analysis of photographs of living rooms. Otis and Velma Davis Dozier Travel Grants for everybody else went to Denton-based artist Annette Lawrence who will travel to Melbourne, Australia to participate in a residency at Monash University, and Dallas artist Elliott Johnson, who will visit Baroque and Rococo churches in southern Germany.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015