According to myth-busting German art historians Hans Kaufmann and Rita Wildegans, Gauguin sliced off Van Gogh’s ear with a sword, and both artists agreed to a cover-up in which Van Gogh claimed to have done it himself. They (the historians) lay out their case in a new book, Van Gogh’s Ear: Paul Gauguin and the Pact of Silence. Curators at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam stand by the orthodox self-mutilation theory.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015