According to myth-busting German art historians Hans Kaufmann and Rita Wildegans, Gauguin sliced off Van Gogh’s ear with a sword, and both artists agreed to a cover-up in which Van Gogh claimed to have done it himself. They (the historians) lay out their case in a new book, Van Gogh’s Ear: Paul Gauguin and the Pact of Silence. Curators at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam stand by the orthodox self-mutilation theory.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015