About a hundred years ago, the Texas Spring Palace, an elaborate oriental-themed wooden amusement park, opened in Fort Worth. A year later, in 1890, it died in a chaotic and deadly blaze, depicted in a painting by artist Orin McCormick, a painting that is known only through reporoductions that were sold as souvenirs. A second painting of the structure by the same artist was identified recently through some antiques-roadshow style sleuthing. A Fort Worth attorney bought the piece in an antique mall and donated it to UT, Arlington, and it will be on display at the old Tarrant County Courthouse this summer.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015