Ex-Houstonian and art car pioneer Tom Kennedy, creator of the Shark Car (“Ripper the Friendly Shark”), the Ben and Jerry’s Topsy-Turvy Bus and many others, died this past Easter Sunday in San Francisco in a surfing accident. A photo of his Shark Car by George Hixson is featured in the upcoming CAMH show “No Zoning.” An early convert to the Art Car phenomenon, Kennedy gave up his day job to build more than 30 cars for himself and other clients. Kennedy, 48, is survived by his wife, Haideen Anderson. Donation to his memorial fund are part of this year’s upcoming Art Car Ball.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015