Ex-Texan sculptor James Surls has installed a string of his signature twirly trees along New York’s Park Avenue between 50th and 57th streets. The pieces are part of the city’s Art in the Parks program. In conjunction with the Park Avenue installation, there will be a reception at the ex-Texan Gerald Peters Gallery, now at 24 E 78th Street on April 23rd. Surls will open a one-person show at Charles Cowles Gallery in Chelsea, on May 28th and he is the subject of a new book coming out the end of April called JAMES SURLS: From the Heartland. If you are in Abilene on May 1st, there will be an exhibition and book signing at the Grace Museum.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015