This weekend, S.O.S. or "Systems of Sustainability," explores art as a tool for social activism at the University of Houston with three days of site-specific projects, field trips, lectures, scholarly panels. The symposium features artists, researchers and activists including: Amy Balkin; BD Collier; Matthew Coolidge; Lisa D’Amour; Sasha Dela; Fritz Haeg; Dr. Robert Harriss of the Houston Advanced Research Center; Philip Galanter; Natalie Jeremijenko; Marc Bamuthi Joseph; Liz Lerman; Richard Lerman; Michael Mercil; Dario Robleto; Claudia Schmuckli; Stephanie Smith; Karen Stokes; Teresa Chapman; Lindsay Utz; Liz Ward; Matthew Wettergreen of the Caroline Collective; and WochenKlausur. March 27,28, and 29. Free for UH students, $10 for everyone else. On Thursday night the 26th at there’s a free kickoff party with DJ Steve Nalepa at Blaffer Gallery at 7 pm.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015