Plans are brewing to re-create the Colossus of Rhodes, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world. The Cologne-based design team led by German artist Gert Hof will make a much larger (the original 34-meter statue of the sun god Helios is puny by today’s standards) architectural light installation made of melted weapons, celebrating peace. The original, Colossus, by sculptor Chares of Lindos was flattened by an earthquake in 226 BCE. The new monument will cost up to 200 million euros. The Hanging Gardens of Babylon are next?
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015