Starting in the mid-1970s a number of Texas sculptors began to congregate in various academic settings to talk about sculpture on a regular basis, and they’re still talking: The 11th annual Texas Sculpture Symposium will be held in Junction, TX on the campus of Texas Tech on November 7-9. The theme of this year’s symposium is Engaging Sculpture: Toward Social, Environmetal and Political Involvement, and speakers include James Drake, Jann Rosen-Querlt, and Randy Jewart founder of Austin Green Art. Shan Wells, a Colorado-based sculptor, will organize a project recycling nature’s debris into an artwork, while Stephen Dubov and Heather Tolleson, of Austin Atelier 3-D will do the same with industrial refuse.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015