The Chelsea Art Museum has cancelled the opening of the exhibition Aesthetics of Terror, curated by Manon Slome and Joshua Simon, and including work by Houston’s William Betts. Dorothea Keeser, president of the museum concluded that the show glorified terrorism and showed disrespect for its victims; what began with questions as to the title soon evolved into tactics of blocking, demands for change, for the elimination of some work, some essays and images from the catalogue which would have seriously compromised the show, according to a letter sent out to the artists yesterday. Chief curator Slome has resigned in protest.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015