The Damien Hirst direct auction at Sotheby’s is double interesting because people hate art dealers, AND they hate superstars. You can enjoy it two ways: either "Hirst is really sticking it to those bloodsuckers", or "lets hope the arrogant bastard falls on his face." No one’s crying for the galleries any more than they are crying for the major record labels. It’s an ugly tabloid dream: however it turns out someone we love to hate gets it.
I haven’t heard the results yet, but here are my uninformed predictions: I’m sure it will be a success; everyone wants it to come off. It’s a stunt in the style of subversion and will have no lasting effect on art sales or the art industry. It’s net result will be to INCREASE sales for galleries, and Hirst’s dealers are smart enough to know it.
See , I told ya so.
also by Bill Davenport
- Tom Tierney, King of Paper Dolls, has Died in Smithville - July 20th, 2014
- New Faces at the El Paso Museum of Art Foundation - July 19th, 2014
- Treehouse of the Future to Open in Houston's Memorial City - July 18th, 2014
- Everything and a Dead Duck - July 16th, 2014
- Bouillet, Broz & Pregeant Big Show's Big Winners - July 11th, 2014