The Damien Hirst direct auction at Sotheby’s is double interesting because people hate art dealers, AND they hate superstars. You can enjoy it two ways: either "Hirst is really sticking it to those bloodsuckers", or "lets hope the arrogant bastard falls on his face." No one’s crying for the galleries any more than they are crying for the major record labels. It’s an ugly tabloid dream: however it turns out someone we love to hate gets it.
I haven’t heard the results yet, but here are my uninformed predictions: I’m sure it will be a success; everyone wants it to come off. It’s a stunt in the style of subversion and will have no lasting effect on art sales or the art industry. It’s net result will be to INCREASE sales for galleries, and Hirst’s dealers are smart enough to know it.
See , I told ya so.
also by Bill Davenport
- Big Gift Moves Irwin Building Forward at Chinati - September 20th, 2014
- Alberto Mejia II Named New Dougherty Arts Center Manager - September 14th, 2014
- Amon Carter's Photo Archives Go Digital - September 13th, 2014
- TX Contemporary Cycle-O-Rama - September 9th, 2014
- Bank Funds Restoration of DMA's Gem Encrusted Silver Vitrine - September 5th, 2014