The Pope has declared Martin Kippenberger’s wooden sculpture Zuerst die Fusse (feet first) blasphemous. The piece, on view at the Muselon museum in Bolzano, Italy, so enraged one government official in the little border town he went on a hunger strike against it. Now you’ve got to see it. Unlike the recent quashing of similarly controversial images that offend Muslims, there will be no immediate censorship-there’s a town meeting today to decide whether or not to comply with requests for its removal.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015