The Pope has declared Martin Kippenberger’s wooden sculpture Zuerst die Fusse (feet first) blasphemous. The piece, on view at the Muselon museum in Bolzano, Italy, so enraged one government official in the little border town he went on a hunger strike against it. Now you’ve got to see it. Unlike the recent quashing of similarly controversial images that offend Muslims, there will be no immediate censorship-there’s a town meeting today to decide whether or not to comply with requests for its removal.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015