Margo Sawyer’s colorful sculpture at Discovery Green park made it to page A22 of the New York Times today, part of an article extolling Houston’s attempts to define itself (in a positive way) to outsiders. The piece coincides with a new "My Houston" campaign devised by the marketing brains at the Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau to lure the unwary. Noted and dismissed is ttweak’s "Houston, It’s Worth It" guerilla campaign that lists mosquitos, humidity and flying cockroaches as the city’s principal features. At least it’s not "Oklahoma, State of Creativity."
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015