Houston’s Lauren Kelley has won one of the first four Altoids Awards, administered by the New Museum in NY. Kelley says she will use the $25,000 award for studio equipment to help her produce her prizewinning stop-motion animated films. A uniquely for-artists-by-artists award, Kelley was selected from among forty-six artist-nominated candidates by a jury composed of artists Paul McCarthy, Cindy Sherman, and Rirkrit Tiravanija. As well as receiving the cash prize, the winners will be hosted in a joint exhibition at the New Museum that will run from June 25 through October 12, 2008.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015