I found Roberta Smith’s critique of the new Eli Broad museum at LACMA incisive and thoughtfully biting. The inaugural show and her criticisms of it are as good a summation of the dominant paradigm as could be. Pop, slick, and market-heavy. Rooms each of randomly signature Lichtensteins, Koons, Hirsts, Kellys, Basquiats. Yawn. Might as well be jewelry.
Tomkat at Broad Gala:
also by Titus OBrien
- What gets missed - March 2nd, 2009
- Gerald Peters Gallery is dead; long li…eh, good riddance. - February 14th, 2009
- Winter Road Trip part 3: Yes Man - January 29th, 2009
- MLK Day, pomes 'n such - January 19th, 2009
- Winter Road Trip, part 2 - January 18th, 2009