San Antonio artist Stuart Allen‘s second annual Central Market grocery bag kite fly was recently held on the beach at Port Aransas. In 2007, the Texas-based Central Market stores began using a paper bag bearing a narrative about how the bag would like to be made into a kite. Says Allen, "Since I have a reputation as a kite-guy, a bunch of people called my attention to the bag" and soon he had a large pile of them in the studio. He invited friends and family to join him at the beach for a weekend of kite making and flying.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015