Austin’s Blanton Museum of Art has received the International Association of Art Critics (United States Section) award for “Best Thematic Show Nationally” for its 2007 exhibition The Geometry of Hope: Latin American Abstract Art from the Patricia Phelps de Cisneros Collection . The exhibition, organized by Gabriel Pérez-Barreiro, the Blanton’s curator of Latin American art, drew on one of the world’s leading collections of Latin American art to examine geometric abstraction as it developed in the cosmopolitan art capitals of South America from the 1930s through the 1970s.
What does an AICA award mean? Tyler Green had an insider’s analysis in Modern Art Notes in 2005.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015