When I was a kid one of my favorite books was a picture book on fish. There were sharks and manta rays, but the coolest two page spread showed fish from the deep ocean. They had huge gapinp mouths, bug eyes, rows of sharp teeth, and glowed in the dark. What more could a six year old ask for?
That was in the late 1950's, and the illustrations were murky and badly reproduced on cheap paper.
Now, just in time for Christmas, comes The Deep: Extraordinary Creatures of the Abyss by Claire Nouvian. There are over 200 photographs taken as deep as 6,000 meters. You can go to a website to see a selection of images, but since I have just now learned, I hope, how to insert images into these blogs, here are some to whet your appetite.
also by Charles Dee Mitchell
- Martin Puryear at The Modern - April 10th, 2008
- It's All About the Mango Milkshakes - December 12th, 2007
- Yves Klein -- Scene Stealer - November 2nd, 2007
- Balancing Act - October 30th, 2007
- The New Halloween - October 30th, 2007