I just came back from Artstorm, a new artist-run space in a garage apartment in Brookesmith. I arrived a couple hours before the big opening, naturally everything was chaos. The inaugural show includes 8+ artists, many of who were there applying those little rub-on numbers to the walls, or still hanging.
Amid the hubbub, I grabbed a two-minute interview with Melissa Juvan, the impresario. Although there are no definite plans, the space is artist-run, modeled on Austin's Okay Mountain, which was brought to Juvan's attention by Rachel Cook, editor right here at Glasstire, with whom she attended HSPVA. We have to make out own fun here in Texas, and I wish them the best — their energy and their show, even if only half-installed, was the perfect antidote to the after the chilly crypt of Alejandro Garmendia's show at McClain gallery, and the disappointingly dry Jamal Cyrus Show at CTRL, and the production-line slickness of Ken Little's show at Finesilver.
It's a gallery, not an apartment! Really!!!
also by Bill Davenport
- Top Five: March 26, 2015 - March 26th, 2015
- Bastrop Boosters Get into Sculpture: Stroll Set for Sunday - March 20th, 2015
- Faking It: Erin Stafford's Tongue and Groove at Lawndale - March 19th, 2015
- MMMMMMMMM - March 14th, 2015
- OK Art at the Party-Tyme Corral - March 8th, 2015