The Big Bend Sentinel has reported that the board of Chinati is deliberating whether to keep the Open House weekend as it is — the big weekend in Marfa has grown to the point that the staff of the small organization can barely keep up with their annual membership dinner, board meeting, special exhibition with catalog, and feeding the masses for free on top of it all. This year the hordes came out to hear Sonic Youth perform, and reportedly a Border Patrol control bus was patrolling, handing out DUIs and harassing people on skateboards and bicycles (yes, your tax dollars at work keeping you safe). No word yet as to whether Chinati's board will move to make changes to the organization's portion of what has become an annual fall pilgrimage…stay tuned.
also by Rainey Knudson
- The Devil’s Own Day in Houston: Letter from the Publisher - August 29th, 2017
- You Should Go To Mexico City - August 6th, 2017
- Please Stop Painting The Electrical Boxes (A Public Art Proposal) - July 30th, 2017
- This and That: Chris Burden, David Blaine + Youtube - July 1st, 2017
- As Moths to the Light: Pipilotti Rist at the MFAH - June 18th, 2017