It's the Piñata Wars!!! Bill Davenport has a giant black stealth bomber, ready for whacking, in the entry of the Arthouse Texas Prize finalist show. But not to be outdone, Franco Mondini-Ruiz has installed a series of piñatas in the window at Artpace. Ruiz's Mondrian shapes and Warhol Brillo boxes are an altogether different take on the art piñata ethos, and there's no official plan to have a grand destruction at the end of their run (unlike Davenport's bomber, which, as reported on GT already, will be smashed open, stuffed with money, after the announcement of the winner of the Texas Prize in November).
also by Rainey Knudson
- This and That: Breaking Bread - November 23rd, 2017
- The Internet Publisher’s Lament - November 6th, 2017
- Art Dirt 11: David McGee - October 29th, 2017
- Jeffrey Dell at Art Palace - October 15th, 2017
- The Devil’s Own Day in Houston: Letter from the Publisher - August 29th, 2017