It's the Piñata Wars!!! Bill Davenport has a giant black stealth bomber, ready for whacking, in the entry of the Arthouse Texas Prize finalist show. But not to be outdone, Franco Mondini-Ruiz has installed a series of piñatas in the window at Artpace. Ruiz's Mondrian shapes and Warhol Brillo boxes are an altogether different take on the art piñata ethos, and there's no official plan to have a grand destruction at the end of their run (unlike Davenport's bomber, which, as reported on GT already, will be smashed open, stuffed with money, after the announcement of the winner of the Texas Prize in November).
also by Rainey Knudson
- You Should Go To Mexico City - August 6th, 2017
- Please Stop Painting The Electrical Boxes (A Public Art Proposal) - July 30th, 2017
- This and That: Chris Burden, David Blaine + Youtube - July 1st, 2017
- As Moths to the Light: Pipilotti Rist at the MFAH - June 18th, 2017
- This and That: Andy Warhol / Tiger Woods - June 5th, 2017