MFAH has reported that the Chaney family, whose Asian collection is currently featured in the RED HOT show, has — SURPRISE! — given one of the pieces to the museum, specifically the Wang Wei photograph installation from 1999, 1/30th of a Second Underwater. If you missed it when you saw the show, that's because it was downstairs in the hall next to Cafe Express. I thought the show, despite my admitted lukewarm expectations, was one of the most energetic and fun things I've seen at the MFAH in years. That said, if I could have picked a single piece to go in the collection, it wouldn't have been the Wang.
also by Rainey Knudson
- Jeffrey Dell at Art Palace - October 15th, 2017
- The Devil’s Own Day in Houston: Letter from the Publisher - August 29th, 2017
- You Should Go To Mexico City - August 6th, 2017
- Please Stop Painting The Electrical Boxes (A Public Art Proposal) - July 30th, 2017
- This and That: Chris Burden, David Blaine + Youtube - July 1st, 2017