OK, we teased Houston's CTRL Gallery a few posts ago for not having their lights working at their grand opening earlier this summer. But we stopped by this weekend to catch the current show before it closes, and it was well worth the trip. Though there was a room devoted to this horrible brainless trend of bad painting (in this case, by Yui Kugimiya), there were wonderful little pieces by Barbara Takenaga and Chie Fueki, and a terrific keyboard installation by Jean Shin (who did the pill canister sculpture now on view at the MFAH's Red Hot show). Looks like CTRL is the real deal — and you can see the show, To the Left, until September 1.
also by Rainey Knudson
- Catching up with Okay Mountain - February 4th, 2011
- Two Great Shows, Part 1: Dan H. Phillips at Webb Gallery - December 16th, 2010
- Peter Marzio, head of MFAH, dies at 67 - December 10th, 2010
- Pamela Z TONIGHT in Houston! - December 4th, 2010
- Arthouse TX Prize Finalists Announced - November 20th, 2010