OK, we teased Houston's CTRL Gallery a few posts ago for not having their lights working at their grand opening earlier this summer. But we stopped by this weekend to catch the current show before it closes, and it was well worth the trip. Though there was a room devoted to this horrible brainless trend of bad painting (in this case, by Yui Kugimiya), there were wonderful little pieces by Barbara Takenaga and Chie Fueki, and a terrific keyboard installation by Jean Shin (who did the pill canister sculpture now on view at the MFAH's Red Hot show). Looks like CTRL is the real deal — and you can see the show, To the Left, until September 1.
also by Rainey Knudson
- Catching up with Okay Mountain - February 4th, 2011
- Two Great Shows, Part 1: Dan H. Phillips at Webb Gallery - December 16th, 2010
- Toby Kamps moves across town - July 14th, 2010
- Who's Afraid of the Big bad Show? - July 8th, 2010
- Dear Old Umeå, or Art Where It Never Gets Dark - June 24th, 2010