OK, we teased Houston's CTRL Gallery a few posts ago for not having their lights working at their grand opening earlier this summer. But we stopped by this weekend to catch the current show before it closes, and it was well worth the trip. Though there was a room devoted to this horrible brainless trend of bad painting (in this case, by Yui Kugimiya), there were wonderful little pieces by Barbara Takenaga and Chie Fueki, and a terrific keyboard installation by Jean Shin (who did the pill canister sculpture now on view at the MFAH's Red Hot show). Looks like CTRL is the real deal — and you can see the show, To the Left, until September 1.
also by Rainey Knudson
- You Should Go To Mexico City - August 6th, 2017
- Please Stop Painting The Electrical Boxes (A Public Art Proposal) - July 30th, 2017
- This and That: Chris Burden, David Blaine + Youtube - July 1st, 2017
- As Moths to the Light: Pipilotti Rist at the MFAH - June 18th, 2017
- This and That: Andy Warhol / Tiger Woods - June 5th, 2017