The Kimbell has reacquired the Turner it had returned to the John and Anna Jaffé family of France (after it had been proven that the painting was seized by the Vichy regime in 1943), to the tune of $5.7 million. (Here's the full story in the Dallas Morning News.) This was a quick turnaround — it was only March 23rd when the Wall Street Journal included the Turner in a piece about the wave of restitutions going on these days.
also by Rainey Knudson
- You Should Go To Mexico City - August 6th, 2017
- Please Stop Painting The Electrical Boxes (A Public Art Proposal) - July 30th, 2017
- This and That: Chris Burden, David Blaine + Youtube - July 1st, 2017
- As Moths to the Light: Pipilotti Rist at the MFAH - June 18th, 2017
- This and That: Andy Warhol / Tiger Woods - June 5th, 2017