The Kimbell has reacquired the Turner it had returned to the John and Anna Jaffé family of France (after it had been proven that the painting was seized by the Vichy regime in 1943), to the tune of $5.7 million. (Here's the full story in the Dallas Morning News.) This was a quick turnaround — it was only March 23rd when the Wall Street Journal included the Turner in a piece about the wave of restitutions going on these days.
also by Rainey Knudson
- Jeffrey Dell at Art Palace - October 15th, 2017
- The Devil’s Own Day in Houston: Letter from the Publisher - August 29th, 2017
- You Should Go To Mexico City - August 6th, 2017
- Please Stop Painting The Electrical Boxes (A Public Art Proposal) - July 30th, 2017
- This and That: Chris Burden, David Blaine + Youtube - July 1st, 2017