After 9/11, Arlington stopped funding the arts organizations in the city. Like many cities in Texas, Arlington’s arts money comes from the local hotel occupancy tax. Concerned citizens are now trying to get Mayor Cluck (that’s his real name) to reinstate annual operating support to Arlington arts organizations. The old funding accounted for 11-14% of the Arlington Museum of Art’s annual budget, and was free of charge to the taxpayers.
also by Rainey Knudson
- The Devil’s Own Day in Houston: Letter from the Publisher - August 29th, 2017
- You Should Go To Mexico City - August 6th, 2017
- Please Stop Painting The Electrical Boxes (A Public Art Proposal) - July 30th, 2017
- This and That: Chris Burden, David Blaine + Youtube - July 1st, 2017
- As Moths to the Light: Pipilotti Rist at the MFAH - June 18th, 2017