Dallas artist and gallerist Donald Vogel died this past Tuesday, February 17. The cause was heart failure, according to the artist’s son Kevin Vogel, who runs the family’s Valley House Gallery in North Dallas with his wife, Cheryl. The elder Vogel, a Milwaukee native, arrived in Dallas in 1942 with a Chicago art training and a desire to promote (some might say introduce) modernist art to the city. A true pioneer, his influence continues to be felt in the city’s institutions.
also by Rainey Knudson
- Jeffrey Dell at Art Palace - October 15th, 2017
- The Devil’s Own Day in Houston: Letter from the Publisher - August 29th, 2017
- You Should Go To Mexico City - August 6th, 2017
- Please Stop Painting The Electrical Boxes (A Public Art Proposal) - July 30th, 2017
- This and That: Chris Burden, David Blaine + Youtube - July 1st, 2017